Monday, March 30, 2009

5 Minutes of Fame

So I haven't had to sign any autographs but I am a local TV star on The Valley Channel (Cache Valley's local TV channel). You may be wondering how I got to be a TV star...well it all came about when I went out for the Miss Indian USU pageant. My motive for the pageant, fame. I've been hiding from the Logan paparazzi ever since the pageant. Going out for the pageant was more work than I bargained for, I actually had to wear make up. I did have to do more than just wear makeup, like coming up two different talents and one group performance. My modern talent was a presentation on sewing, I had five minutes to sew a pillow case. I actually pulled it off and I did it standing, I forgot to tell the guys setting my machine up to put a chair on the stage. My other talent had to be a traditional talent, so with the help of others I did a presentation on the Navajo Wedding Basket. I was quite impressed that I memorized my traditional talent the day of the pageant. There was only one moment of where my mind went blank, thankfully I've had years of practice of shooting my mouth off and just saying anything to fill in the silence. So I guess I was displaying two talents during one presentation. The group performance brought back memories of past performances I had to be in growing up. I forgot some of the hand signals to our group performance on "Go My Son" and so I was had to watch the contestant next to me a couple of times, it was like old times. You can ask my mom on some of my performances in elementary and high school, she'll love to share them.
Behind the scenes and getting ready for the pageant was definitely crazy. I had to run to the dressing room right after my modern talent to get dressed for my traditional talent. Our dressing room was actually a storage room next to the USU kitchen. And when your hungry, it's flat out cruel. I had about 15-20 minutes to get my traditional outfit on, you may think no big deal but there's a lot to looking Navajo. I had to wear traditional moccasins and a Navajo bun. My mom was making my Navajo bun, which I know she probably was probably cursing under her tongue because my hair isn't actually long enough for a Navajo bun.
Now, to tell you about the makeup. Mary Kay offered to do our makeup the night of the pageant, I agreed because I was told I could look pale under all the stage lights. There weren't any mirrors for me to see what was going on my face, so I had to lay total trust in my Mary Kay lady. Once she was done, I went to the women's restroom and saw my face for the first time and I was shocked and how much makeup I had on. My initial thought was "I'm a hooker!" But because I didn't know anything about makeup I just let it go, I whinned a little to my mom, but as a good mom she assured me that I looked fine and didn't look like a hooker. Once the pageant was over and when I got home I washed my face as soon as possible. Except this was no easy task, the eye makeup was plastered on that I washed my eyes about 4 times before I gave up and was going to try again in the morning. Note: I will remember to use eye makeup removal. The next time I had to wear makeup was for the USU Pow Wow, this time my mom would be putting on the makeup. She didn't put much makeup on but we had to put the eye makeup on again. Now for me, eye makeup is the worst because my eyes are really sensitive. Well, like a good mom, she put matters into her own hands or arms. Her solution, she put me in a headlock. I have Emily as my witness. Then we had to do the Navajo bun again but by this time my mom had enough practice that is was getting easier. This pretty much concludes my pageant life, it was fun and definitely a new experience. I have a lot of respect for those who participate in bigger pageants. Some of you may still be shocked but this goes to show you that you never know what I might do, I even surprise myself.


No comments: